A lightning strike is being blamed for a fire at a rental home on West Gulf beach Drive on St. George Island.
The St. George Island Volunteer Fire Department was called to 1140 West Gulf Beach Drive just after 1 o’clock Thursday afternoon.
They say the home had actually been struck by lightning during a major storm the night before and the fire had smoldered in the roof before erupting Thursday afternoon.
Firefighters had to work through more rain and lightning while they fought the blaze.
They were cleaning up by 330 in the afternoon.
There were people staying in the home, but luckily none of them were injured.
Fire chief Jay Abbott was taken to Weems Memorial with non-life threatening injuries to his leg.