Hurricane Irma Update
Franklin County Emergency Management is activated to a Level 1 Activation Hurricane Weather Update:
• Irma remains a category 2 hurricane.
• A Hurricane Warnings are in effect across southwest Georgia and The Big Bend including Tallahassee.
• Due to proximity to the coast, landfall is possible anywhere from Naples to Big Bend. No matter where landfall occurs, significant impacts should still be expected locally.
• Main threat continues to be wind damage and widespread power outages and downed trees across inland areas, these outages could take up to a week or more to restore.
• Sustained Tropical Storm force winds Cat 1 Hurricane force gusts are expected.
• Currently moving North at 14 mph with a maximum sustained wind speed of 105.
• There is an 8 in 10 chance for hurricane conditions across parts of the southeast Big Bend.
• The central Big Bend and southcentral Georgia have a 5 in 10 chance of hurricane conditions.
• According to the current track Tropical Storm Force winds can be expected to begin evening and taper off from south to north beginning afternoon and ending everywhere by . Rain Amounts of 4-6 inches across Southwest GA, Southwest AL, and western FL panhandle. Amounts of 2-4 inches include south-central GA and the eastern FL Big Bend
• Storm surge along the Gulf Coast of Apalachee Bay and flooding (especially across our Eastern areas) are also potential threats.
• Surge amount of 4-6 feet is expected to affect Dog Island, Alligator Point and Ball Point.
• A Storm Surge watch is in affect for the rest of Franklin County.
• Isolated river flooding and flash flooding is possible.
BE SURE TO MONITOR:
• @FranklinEOC on Facebook – Like Our Page for Updates
• Alert Franklin – Sign up at www.
• Local Radio and TV Stations
• WeatherStem- download app on phone or www.weatherstem.com
All Franklin County Schools are Closed Friday 9/8/2017 and and due to the evacuations out of Franklin County.
City of Apalachicola Office, Franklin County Offices, and City of Carrabelle will be CLOSED on , will be determined.
Franklin County Emergency Management, has issued a mandatory evacuation all of Franklin County.
A Mandatory Evacuation has been issued for St George Island, the bridge for the island closed to on-coming traffic as of Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 2:00. No one will be allowed to access the island from the mainland after . There will be an officer staged at the East Point side of the island bridge.
We will send a new update when new information becomes available.